First Aid

Car broken, important documents stolen or worse?

First aid in the field:

The Garde Nationale especially gives first aid. The Tunisian land police helps and helps find
Workshops and car returnservices
Doctorsand hospitals
miscilanious help

For U.K. Citizens:

                                        Tunis: British Embassy
                                        5 Place de la Victoire
                                        Tunis 1000
                                        Visa Section:
                                        141-143 Avenue de la Liberté
                                        Tunis 1002
                                        (216) 1 341 444  Chancery
                                        (216) 1 846 184  Consular
                                        (216) 1 793 322  Visa
                                        (216) 1 354 877
                                        (216) 1 792 644  Visa/Consular
                                Consular and
                            Office Hours
                                        Mon-Fri: 0700-1100 / 1200-1500
                                        July-August: Mon-Fri: 0630-1330

                                        Sfax: Honorary British Consulate
                                        55 Rue Habib Maazoun
                                        3000, Sfax
                                        (216) (4) 223 971
                                        (216) (4) 299 278

For U.S. Citizens:

The U.S. Embassy is placed in Avenue-de-la-Liberté,  1002 Tunis; the new building is under construction
on the La-Marsa-Highway between Tunis-City and La Marsa.

The Citizens Services
of the U.S. Embassy
in Tunisia

U.S. Citizens may apply for routine services Every Day from 13:00 to 16:00 and Wednesday from 8:00 to 12:00. A duty officer is available for after hours or weekend emergencies and may be reached by contacting the Embassy.

The fee for an adult passport renewal is 40 US dollars. The renewal for a child under 16 years of age is 25 USD. First-time applicants must pay additional fees.

In order to obtain a replacement passport, you should bring the following:
— your old passport
— one 2" by 2" photo (5cm x 5 cm) color photo
— application form completely filled out (available at the Embassy)
— application fee

if you are applying for a passport for the first time or if your old passport has been expired more than five years, please call the consular section for more information on what to bring: 216-1-782-566, x 4430.

Assistance in finding medical help
if you become sick or hurt, you can contact a consular officer for a list of local doctors, dentists, and medical specialists. if you are injured or become seriously ill, a consul will help you find medical assistance and, at your request, inform your family or friends.

Assistance in getting funds
Should you lose all your money and other financial resources, consular officers can help you contact your family, bank, or employer to arrange for them to send money.

Worldwide Information
For updated travel information and consular information sheets on each country in the world check or the Federal Register

Help in an emergency
In the event that your family needs to reach you because of an emergency at home or because they are worried about your welfare they should call the State Department’s Citizens Emergency Center at (202) 647-5225. The State Department will relay the message to consular officers in the country in which you are travelling. Consular officers will try to locate you, pass on urgent messages, and, consistent with the Privacy Act, report back to your family.

Visit in jail
If you are arrested, you should ask the authorities to notify a U.S. Consul. Consuls cannot get you out of jail. You are in foreign country and are subject to its laws. However, Consuls can work to protect your legitimate interests and ensure that you are not discriminated against. They can provide a list of local attorneys, visit you, and contact your family and friends.

Making arrangements after the death of an American citizen
When an American dies abroad, a consular officer notifies the American’s family and informs them about options and costs for disposition of remains. Costs for preparing and returning a body to the U.S. may be high and must be paid by the family.

Notarization services can be provided for a fee of $55.

The consular section can also:
— issue a Consular Report of Birth Abroad,
— distribute federal benefit payments,
— handle personal estates of deceased U.S. citizens,
— assist with absentee voting and Selective Service registration, and
— provide U.S. tax forms.

Consular officers cannot act as travel agents, banks, lawyers, investigators, or law enforcement officers. Please do not expect them to find you employment, get you residence or driving permits, act as interpreters, search for missing luggage, or settle disputes with hotel managers. They can, however, tell you how to get help on these and other matters.

In order to allow the consular section to better help and serve you, please register with the Embassy as soon as you arrive in the country.

Registration for Short-term American Citizen Visitors to Tunisia
U.S. citizens who will be visiting Tunisia for less than six months may register with the U.S. Embassy by fax. You should send your fax to 216-1-788-923. Your fax should include the following information:

In accordance with the Privacy Act, the Embassy cannot release any information about you that is not considered to be in the public domain without written consent. Therefore, we request that you include the following statement with your fax.

"I hereby authorize the U.S. Embassy in Tunisia and the Department of State to release of information concerning my welfare and whereabouts in Tunisia to family members, friends, members of Congress, the press and the general public." (strike out any which do not apply)

Please sign and date your fax.

The information you provide will be used to contact you in the case of an emergency.

U.S. citizens who will be in Tunisia longer than six months may also register by fax, but we urge you to visit the Consular Section at your earliest  convenience any weekday from 1pm to 4pm with your passports in order to register in person.

Problems with the car:

Situations of:
Daimler-Chrysler : Société Le Moteur , Tunis, Tel: 01795448 oder 01796639
Toyota :Société BSB, Tunis, Tel: 01-353209
Nissan: Nissan Tunisie, Tunis, Tel: 01-331199
Mitsubishi: Société SAM, Tunis, Tel: 01-800411
VW: Société Ennakl Tel.: 01-705704
BMW,Landrover: BMW Tunisie, Tunis, Tel: 01-792900
are present in Tunis, but don't have spare parts everytime. Also, the Workshops are not on the european or american "level".

A little hint. There is a german workshop owned by  Mister Manfred Koch in Nabeul,
who works fantastically.
Société Koch-Car, Nabeul  , Telefon&FAX   02-361058

Also recommandation for the represantation of BOSCH in Tunis:

Electro Diesel Tunis Tel.: 01-344871

In DOUZ ,  TOZEUR and NEFTA are smaller workshops who make little fixing on command.